SOM is transitioning the university’s softphone service from Cisco Jabber to Cisco Webex. The new
platform is called Cardinal Voice Softphone and expands on the Jabber features you rely on. Starting
now, Stanford University users can transition from Jabber to Webex by following the instructions below.
To avoid any interruption in your softphone service, install and configure Webex prior to Dec. 16,
What do I need to do?
Don’t worry — it is a simple process and support is available if you need it. During the transition period,
Webex users can chat with Jabber users and vice versa, so there is no need to wait to get started with
the new Webex platform.
- To install Webex, go to Cardinal Voice Softphone Guide.
- Click the Webex download page button.
- Follow the steps to download Webex.
Why are Stanford’s softphone services changing?
Cisco, the vendor that provides both Jabber and Webex, is incorporating its Jabber features into Webex.
While the softphone and chat features work similarly, we want to take advantage of the enhancements
available with Webex, including:
• creating “spaces” where groups and teams can easily chat collaboratively
• sharing high-quality files
• sharing real-time video and audio
• using a more modern, intuitive interface
Where can I get more information?
Refer to the Cardinal Voice Softphone Guide for information about the new Webex platform, feature
instructions, and answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
If you need additional assistance, contact University IT at (650) 725-4357or submit a Help request.