The Office of Facilities Planning and Management has added COMPOST bins to 800 Welch on the third and second floors. The bins are clearly labeled – please take the time to look and be aware where you are throwing your items away.
Make sure you are emptying your items into the compostable, landfill or recycle bins according to the details below. NOTE:Non-soiledCardboard (except pizza and donut boxes) must be disposed into recycle bin.
Per OFPM, the City of Palo Alto is auditing 800 Welch every 3 months to make sure we are in compliance with the landfill reduction initiative. Without our support, OFPM will remain out of compliance resulting in a fine.
What goes in COMPOST:
- ALL FOOD
- Paper towels, napkins and solid paper (including pizza and donut boxes)
- Compostable plastic (there will be a “compostable” label on them if they are)
- Plants, leaves, wood (including stir sticks, tea bags, and coffee grounds only)
- NO K-Cups
- NO bathroom or facial tissue
- NO human or animal waste
- NO gloves
What goes in TRASH/LANDFILL:
- Non-recyclable packaging (including plastic silverware/cups that are not compostable)
- Ceramics or non-recyclable glass
- Human or animal waste (including bathroom and facial tissue)
- NO recyclable materials
- NO yard trimmings or compostable materials
- NO electronics, lightbulbs or batteries